Sep 6, 2010

Vegan Coconut Chai Breakfast Cake

Vegan and Fat Free. Doesn't get better than that. 

I wanted to make a cake that I could eat for breakfast without feeling completely guilty about it. After much research on the internet, I came across this recipe and immediately decided to try it. Chai Tea is my favorite tea, and coconut my favorite tropical fruit. I was so happy to see that both flavors were combined in this cake. And to make it all better, it's vegan and fat free. It does have a lot sugar, but I'm working on a low sugar version. 

I couldn't wait until morning, so I ate a piece with a little rice milk and it was awesome. The cake is a little too sweet for my taste, but my mom said it was perfect. I don't like sweets too much but she does. So I might be a little biased. The texture is dense and gooey. Not as gooey as a brownie though. 

The fresh ginger really makes a difference. You can't really taste it immediately, but there is a spicy after taste that makes this cake of my favorites ever. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really like ginger. The original recipe called for coconut flakes, but all I could find was coconut flakes in heavy syrup (canned). So I measured how much I needed for the recipe and drained it in some paper towels to get the moisture out. 



Ingredients:

8oz. Chai Tea (steep two bags)
1/3 cup uncooked Oatmeal
1.5 cups of Flour
1 ts. Baking Soda
1/2 ts. Salt
1 ts. Cinnamon
1/4 ts Fresh Ginger (or powdered)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 Apple Sauce
1 tbsp. Vinegar
1 ts. Vanilla
1/2 cup Coconut Flakes

Procedure:

1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Then add all wet ingredients and mix well with a spatula until everything is incorporated.

                         

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes on a round pan. 

Enjoy it warm right out of the oven.
I plan to eat it with scrambled eggs in the morning. 




1 comment: